Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

How to Add Character to My Home

Recently I got the urge to add a bit of character to my front staircase as it was a bit lackluster.It had a simple pine wood railing on one side that to me was Screaming for some much needed personality.
So off to Home Depot I went and got a 4x4x8 post and a cute wood finial for the top also I got a post cap so I wouldn't have to mess around with trim.

Now I have the tedious job of figuring out how I can mount this post to the existing rail and yet make it stable and secure so that when my tribe is swinging off it,it will stay put.First I used liquid nails then I drilled pilot holes in the old rail and used 3inch deck screws and alot of prayers!Next I drilled a hole in the cap and the top of the post added some more liquid nails and connected all remaining pieces.I gave it all two coats of black paint and ta-da! Instant character.I just love what this simple project has added to my front hall.Total price $20.00 Id say that's a real bargin.

20 comments:

heather @ new house, new home, new life said...

Awesome! Love the black post with the black treads. Such a classic look!!

At The Picket Fence said...

It definitely adds character and makes everything just "pop" now! Thanks so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday!
Vanessa

Cristina Garay said...

It looks great! and I love that it was a fairly easy and economical project!

Nicole Buckingham said...

Oh I love that I really truly love that little bit of black sophistication. =)

Aloha,
Following ya now from the GFC hop. We're riding the wave of life at localsugarhawaii.com and I'd love for you to join us, AND... today we're hosting a team lead link up so please do come join us and grow, grow, grow with other sweet bloggers and creative souls.

xo,
Nicole
localsugarhawaii.com

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

I'm glad to know we are not the only ones with kids swinging off the newel posts. Love the added character.

Tammy said...

Hey, that is great idea!! It truly gave it character! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations weekend.

Alam Zaib said...

heyy wow nicee

A Little Knick Knack said...

Looks awesome. I love the knob on top. Very fancy. :) Great job!

Emi said...

this looks darling! definitely adds character..love it. cute blog! following you now! Xo

Nadine @ Chic with the Kool-Aid Mustache said...

Wow...it sure adds tons of character! I love the painted stairs too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...