Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Mercury Glass 101


Today I thought I would share with you a small project I did over the weekend.I dabbled in the Mercury Glass as I have always admired it in the Pottery Barn catalogs.

I have read many tutorials on the process so I thought it would be easy and fun to try.As the Hurricane was fast approaching N.Y. I thought it would be a good time to do this.First I went to hobby Lobby and FINALLY found the Krylon looking glass paint WHEW!! Nobody around here sells it! Well I got a 6oz. can for 11.99 but I really wanted to do this.I took some old clear glass bowls and hurricane candle holders and began spraying. Now they say to do light shots of spray as it will run....Boy they weren't lying!I think I got a bit loopy from the fumes as well.After 3 coats and 10 minutes of drying time I spritzed it with 50/50 water and vinegar and let that sit for 10 minutes.I then took my finger and just ever so lightly started to scratch it up a bit.I'm so excited with this look its so pretty with the candles burning.

10 comments:

The Pink Geranium said...

This is absolutely cool, and they turned out really wonderful! Every time I read a post like this, it gives me one more thing to add to my "I want to do" list.

I came over from Tuesdays Treasures..I hope your safe from all the storm issues.

Jan @ The Pink Geranium

Laura said...

That came out great! Can you eat/drink out of glassware that you add this paint to do you know?

heather @ new house, new home, new life said...

These look great, Diedre. I've always wanted to try and haven't done it YET.

Would love for you to share this at the All Star Block Party!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Wow! What a fabulous job you made of them! I love mercury glass but I haven't tried making them myself yet. Thanks for the inspiration. Have a wonderful weekend and I hope all is well with you in your neck of the woods!

Blessings,
Sandi

Laura from Top This Top That said...

I have wanted to do this but did'nt realize that you spray it with water and vinegar when it is dry. Good to know!

Debra Anne of GIPSY in the PARLOUR said...

Love this!!! I am so doing this for my Christmas table! The mason jars are my favorite, & I just happen to have a bunch sitting around waiting for a great project. Thank-you Deidre, as always, for the inspiration ;-)


Peggy~PJH Designs said...

I always love these mercury glass pieces and yours turned out lovely. I will be featuring you later tonight on Transformed Tuesday and I hope you are safe and well after the storm. Hugs, Peggy

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh pretty, I love mercury glass!

Holly @ Bella Nest said...

Hi, Deidre! These look fabulous!

suzyq said...

These turned out gorgeous Deidre - I never even knew Kryon made this product! Thanks for sharing!
Is everything ok with you with all this weather mayhem?
Also - did you get the my memory suite software?
Hugs,
Suzan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...